March 19, 2016

eco-printing with blackberry leaves (again...)


It's been a while since my last post. I wish I could say it's because I've been so busy creating, but to be honest life wasn't treating me very well the last couple of weeks. I've been tired and lazy. I know a professional blog is supposed to use positive writing, and personal problems shouldn't necessarily be mentioned.

March 8, 2016

eco-printing on paper - N°2

Another eco-print on watercolor paper. (Here is N°1) I used blackberry leaves and privet berries. No mordants were used for this print.



Here are some details

March 7, 2016

red onion skins - experimenting with mordants

In a previous post I talked about my first eco-printing experience, where I tried, among other things, ecoprinting with red onion skins. I quickly mentioned that the beautiful pink changed after dipping the fabric into iron and alum mordant. I thought maybe you're interested in how the colors transformed. It's a pity the wide color range right after opening the bundle was gone after the mordant baths. 


Just after opening the bundle



After dipping the fabric into the mordants. Hello disappointment.




March 6, 2016

eco-printing on paper - N°1

Because my first real eco-printing attempt was such a success, I was very motivated to try it again: This time on paper. I put a layer of plant material on a sheet of paper and repeated this process until I  had a nice little stack - about 12 times. I steamed the stack for about an hour and dipped some sheets into alum mordant, some into iron mordant, and some into vinegar. The results were SO different, depending on the mordant and the paper I used. This one for example had an iron afterbath. Because it's winter, I didn't have lots of different plants to choose from. All I had were privet berries, blackberry leaves and a pine branch. The berry-print turned into a beautiful blue after the iron dip! Little by little I will post the other sheets of eco-printed paper.



I put together a collection of some details. 
The second image shows the imprint of the pine branch.

March 2, 2016

sample - winter leftovers

A few days ago I talked about the weird weather changes we are experiencing this year. The sample I made today gives you a good impression of the color mood around our house. Kind of depressing, don't you think? Here and there you can still find a bit of snow. But most of it is gone. I'm looking forward to spring and it's delicate and fresh color palette. For this sample I used some wool of the brown mountain sheep, and a thin layer of white Kap merino. The fabric square is from a cotton "Malhafa", the traditional clothing of women from the Sahrawi society


brown mountain sheep wool, white kap merino wool, cotton fabric

March 1, 2016

felted scarf with (almost antique) linen fibers

Two years ago, when my husband and I got married, I got something very precious from my grandmother: Linen fibers! Not so special you may think, but let me tell you about them: The clothes they were wearing when my grandmother was young, were made out of flax plants they cultivated themselves on their farm. Linen is extremly laborious to manufacture. If you're interetsed you can read about the whole process here. The linen fibers I got from her are still leftovers from her childhood.