March 7, 2016

red onion skins - experimenting with mordants

In a previous post I talked about my first eco-printing experience, where I tried, among other things, ecoprinting with red onion skins. I quickly mentioned that the beautiful pink changed after dipping the fabric into iron and alum mordant. I thought maybe you're interested in how the colors transformed. It's a pity the wide color range right after opening the bundle was gone after the mordant baths. 


Just after opening the bundle



After dipping the fabric into the mordants. Hello disappointment.




4 comments:

  1. Came by to say, "HI" and found this very useful tip about red onion skins....
    I haven't dyed with them much [usually use brown skins] and never have I attained the colors in your first photo - now I know why! Iron. So many thanks for that. And my, what a lovely blog you have ... lots of eye treats over here ;>))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy! Thank you for your kind words! I wonder if the pink color changes as well over time without using mordants... I'll try another time. Oh, and I can only return the compliment about the blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twas me .... Christi ;>))

    I'll give the red ones another try this spring, too - will let you know what I discover. Generally, have found the gold onion skins to be extremely stable ... but then again, reds/pinks in the rest of the plant world can be quite iffy. But I do love a good mystery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my.. CHRISTI of course. sorry! I'm already looking forward to reading about your experiences with red onion skins. :)

      Delete